Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, October 26, 2009

Screaming scarlet bushes

Railroad Tracks and Scarlet Fall Foliage This is what I meant in the last post about "screaming scarlet" fall leaves. I've noticed these bushes a lot around this area and in Portland. It's not like you can miss them. I'm sure they're chosen exactly for the color they turn in fall. I took this photo at the edge of the Safeway parking lot not far from this old shed. The river looks white on this drizzly day. The hills in the distance are on the Washington side of the Columbia River. Of course, that's the River Walk beyond the tracks.

One of the rail lines you see in both photos is for the much-used Astoria Riverfront Trolley. The other line hasn't been used for awhile. They resurrected it a couple of years ago for several Amtrak passenger cars that ran between Astoria and Portland (2 hours by car). It was a great idea if you wanted to come from Portland to Astoria for the day or a couple of days, but the sceduling and logistics were a mess if you wanted to go from Astoria and spend the day in Portland. The timing was all wrong, and it made for an expensive proposition since you would almost have to stay overnight in Portland if you lived in Astoria. Daytripping was virtually ruled out unless you wanted to ride the train, turn around and come right back. Maybe they'll plan it better next time. We all loved the idea.

9 comments:

VP said...

This is literally scarlet! Where has all the chlorophyll gone?
I have experience the same problem with one way only day tripping, which is often balanced toward the bigger of the two cities.

Lowell said...

I wish you could have found something a little more "scarlet." I mean, really; I can't believe you're showing off these pale imitations!

Heh. Heh. Gadzooks! They'll knock your socks off (I don't usually wear socks here in Florida, but if I did and I saw those flowers, I'd be very, very careful!)!

Beautiful is not nearly enough...but they are that and more!

Hope you have a great week!

Gary said...

I didn't think there were any dreary days in Astoria - always sun shinning. Beautiful contrast to the river for sure.

Have a great wet week.

Lee Spangler said...

Red roses to you for putting together such a nice composition including the pix from the previous days. Your pix and text are certainly never dull!

Don and Krise said...

Sheryl, I don't by any means claim to be "Mr know it all", but if I'm not mistaken this could be a dwarf burning bush. They are all over our area too. Absolutely the brightest red of any fall foliage. You've really captured it well with the vivid color in the foreground and the soft muted colors of the water and land in the distance. Very, very nice photo.

Ming the Merciless said...

The color of the bushes is spectacular. It's 'screaming scarlet', alright!

I'm seeing different shades of yellow to red and browns up here. I didn't see those in NYC.

B SQUARED said...

Those bushes are so amazing! The color is so intense.

cieldequimper said...

I'm blushing with all that colour!
It's sad really that trains aren't running as they could. In the long run, they are less expensive than cars...

Holly said...

Wonderful photo - TFS!
Holly, sicilydaybyday.blogspot.com, hollyberryelf.blogspot.com

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails