Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, October 16, 2009

National Geographic's "Sea Bird"

National Geographic/Lindblad Ship Sea Bird The National Geographic ship Sea Bird has been in port fairly often recently at the 17th Street docks by the Maritime Museum. At first I thought they might be doing some kind of research or photography, but it seems this is a cruise ship in conjunction with Lindblad Expeditions, and both logos are on the side of the ship. Unlike most of the tour ships that stop in Astoria, the focus of these tours is on active observation of nature.

Kayaks aboard National Geographic Ship Sea Bird The Sea Bird's primary destinations are north and south of us: Washington, British Columbia and Alaska to the north, and Baja California to the south. The passengers are encouraged to snorkel, kayak and hike, and the ship searches out pods of whales and other of nature's wonders that can be observed on the sea and around the coast. They advertise: "Expedition Equipment: Bow Camera, hydrophone, kayaks, snorkeling gear, Splash-Cam, underwater video camera, video microscope, Zodiac landing craft and wetsuits in Baja." Sounds intriguing. Coming back to my computer, it was a little odd to see the same logo on my tiger mousepad as I'd just seen on the ship.

The dull colors you see in these photos reflect our recent weather: lots of rain and low clouds. In this photo you can actually see more variety in the sky than usual. As I look out the window this morning, it's a flat gray and the horizon is barely visible. Happy Skywatch Friday.

14 comments:

Tussy said...

Beautiful ship, nice sky too.

My Bangkok Through My Eyes!
You got a Posty: I want to give 15 postcards :)

cieldequimper said...

Sounds quite cool. Grey sky here too, drizzling...

Anonymous said...

Just found this blog through Twitter. Subscribing to the RSS feed now. As I was born and raised in Astoria, I hope to see many familiar sights through it.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I been to Astoria once and it remind me of a popeye town.

Coffee is on.

Chrissy said...

That's the kind of cruise I'd love to go on!

Sylvia K said...

Sounds like a great cruise! Your skies look like ours today, I do believe fall has arrived! Interesting post!

Enjoy the weekend1

Sylvia

Lowell said...

How, I wonder, does someone get to be a passenger on such a ship? I'm not sure I'm up to all the physical stuff, but I'd sure like to go along and take photos!

Actually, the photos are quite good, Sheryl. Grey days don't blow out highlights and give lots of detail...and the colors are fine.

We are finally getting some cooler weather just in time for our trip to Cedar Key tomorrow for a Sea Food Festival!

Photos to come. I hope!

eileeninmd said...

It does sound slike a fun cruise. Thanks for sharing your skies.

Jim said...

Thanks for your kind comments on my blog.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Small City Scenes said...

Rain, rain, rain here too. gray upon gray.
How interesting the NG ship. It might be just the right kind of expedition. MB

VP said...

Nice ship with a very interesting program, but definitely not my kind of holiday!

dhemz said...

great entry!....nice....

anyway, this is my first time....here is mine:

http://demcyapdiandias.blogspot.com/2009/10/skywatch-friday.html

B SQUARED said...

That is my idea of a 'cruise.'

SandyCarlson said...

These are great photos. Beautiful.

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails