Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Corner cupola . . . what's the story?

Grandview Bed and Breakfast with Corner Cupola, Astoria, Oregonj I love walking past the Grandview Bed and Breakfast at 16th Street and Grand. The thing on the corner of the building is called a "corner cupola." The history of this architectural form is a bit more elusive than the name - at least in a cursory online check. I'd like to research the style further and hopefully talk with the owners of the building. For today let me just say that I've seen pictures of corner cupolas on ornate Victorian buildings and on French Medieval fortresses. It does make one wonder what came in between. Please do follow the link to the web page of this charming place. The rooms have delightful names, the B & B looks more than inviting, and you'll see a photo of the view and a photo of the other side of the building, in which the style looks completely different. I'll have to post more of this very interesting building another time.

The steeple in the distance was featured in this earlier post. It's worth a look if you haven't seen it (or just want to see it again). It's lovely and intriguing.

7 comments:

B SQUARED said...

Such a beautiful architectural feature.

Paty said...

is so beautiful, and does look like a medieval fortress

VP said...

I checked the names of every room and decided for 'The Treetops'! It looks really like a fortress, but a bit too much combustible for medieval sieges!

Chrissy said...

YAY Grandview! Charleen and Carol are wonderful. My husband and I always stay here on our long weekends in Astoria. It is so comfortable and quiet. A true refuge!

cieldequimper said...

Echauguette is the name you're looking for in French castles, whether medieval for defense purposes or Renaissance for... er... more gallant ones or just to please ze eye! I like both rooms on the website, it's a pity they don't show them all.

Lowell said...

This structure is absolutely gorgeous! Wow! I would love to take a tour!

But, your photo is stunning...you caught the evening? light just perfectly!

Superb!

Midnight Mike said...

My dad lived in this house back in the 1930's or 40's. I grew up at 15th and Irving and we used to roam all over the neighborhood. I was always fascinated by the corner cupola.

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails