Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, October 23, 2009

Tails tell tales

I took this on a drizzly day recently using the zoom, as we don't get this close to the big ships in reality. The Hanjin Madrid is unloaded, revealing an interesting pattern of metalwork. In this photo on another web site, you can see the same ship in another port with a full cargo. One of the links from this page will take you to many more photos of the same ship. Hanjin is one of the most common shipping lines seen on the lower Columbia River. I found it interesting that this particular ship was registered in Hamburg, Germany, as so many of the ships we see are registered in either Panama or in Monrovia, Liberia, where about 10% to 15% of the world's big ships are registered.

In case you wondered, I spent a few days in Portland. I expected to post from there, but it didn't work out, so I'm playing catch-up today, which is actually late on October 25th. I'm looking forward to visiting your posts for the weekend and making comments, although it may not happen till morning!

~ Sheryl

4 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

Interesting about the home pots of these ships. the ship I posted thew other day--crossing in front of our ferry---was registered Monrovia. MB

Kcalpesh said...

Wonderful title. I did check the fully loaded ship on the other website. It's amazing how that weight can float on oceans....

- Pixellicious Photos

cieldequimper said...

Hmmm... China, Spain and Germany all in one boat... I'm fascinated by boats yet don't have the English vocabulary to express everything. I really ought to get out my dictionary but truth be told, I'm bushed! Goodnight!

Midnight Mike said...

Sheryl,
I take a lot of ship photos to post on www.vesseltracker.com and www.marinetraffic.com/ais and it always amazes me how a big city like Portland has very little access to the waterfront to take ship pictures. We are really lucky here in Astoria to have so much access to photograph the ships.

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails