Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, October 18, 2009

House on a hill

Cottage or Bungalow House in Astoria, Oregon I've always loved this little house at the corner of 10th Street and Harrison Avenue. The picture suggests the name, "House on a hill," but in fact how many houses in Astoria are not perched in some manner on a hillside? Not many. It would be harder to find a residential building that was not on a hill. It's always interesting to see how foundations, stairways, garages, and all manner of other parts of the houses are built to adapt to the slopes.

I come to this neighborhood often, and on October 13th, I especially liked the way the light brightened the house and the dark clouds beyond added some drama. That little bit of blue hill to the left of the house is on the Washington side of the Columbia River. You can barely see a few fall colors in the branches. The leaves are changing, and I'll take some pix of them this coming week.

Does anyone know a name for the style of this house? The words that comes to mind are "bungalow" and "cottage," but I don't know how technical these terms are. It was probably built in the 1920s or '30s. I was inside the house one time, and it has some elements of Arts and Crafts or Craftsman Style, but it also has a lot of elements you don't usually see in traditional Craftsman Style houses. The exterior of the house is made of stucco, which is unusual here, as most Astoria houses are sided with wood. Anyway, it's always looked cozy, and it has a glorious view unobscured by wires.

8 comments:

VP said...

Do you mean that this wonderful little (two-three times my flat) house is built with brick and mortar or that it was somewhat plastered?
Anyway it is really a nice house and you photographed it perfectly against that dark sky.

cieldequimper said...

It looks very English or rather Irish to me, it's lovely! Sorry, I don't know what style it is.

Small City Scenes said...

What a neat house. I love it--I want it--ship it on up. LOL
It does look English Cottage style (whatever that is). Nice shot. MB

Lowell said...

"Little"? It looks fairly large to me - at least from this angle. A truly beautiful building...and your photo is excellent. The sky, well, it's fantastic! Forboding, even!

What a lovely town you live in!

Don and Krise said...

I like it. The porch, the garage along the side, the twin chimneys. Very nice looking place. Oh, and by the age of it I would have to agree that it fits in the Craftsman era as well.

Lee Spangler said...

Somehow I think I've seen this place before! It has special memories for me.

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Fantastic post !!! I loved the shot too !!Unseen Rajasthan

Eric Swedberg said...

That was Doug Thompson's house in the 1970s and later, it originally belonged to a local character named "Pea Soup Harold", who painted the place silver. I think Harold owned one of the waterfront cafes, maybe Arlie's Cafe.
Lee, you should know the place, you lived next door.

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails