Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Swooping like waves

Columbia River Maritime Museum, Astoria, Oregon The Columbia River Maritime Museum was built in an unusual shape custom-designed to fit its theme. You can't see it from here, but inside the blue glass is a Coast Guard boat perched on a fiberglas wave at a rakish angle you can hardly believe. A sound system blares the noise of the sea in storm, and the point seems to be to show that (unlike lubbers might imagine), the boat rocks not only in one direction, but torques in several at one time. If you thought a carnival ride was designed to play havoc with your senses and your last meal, give some credit to Mother Nature.

The museum contains world-class exhibits and a nice gift shop, and owns several real buoys and lightship, which you can tour. There is also a dock where real ships tie up. Here are some glimpses of the museum and grounds during the arrival of a cruise ship not long ago. I'm looking forward to going inside again, and I'll be sure to take you along.

The pavement on the right is actually part of Astoria's River Walk.

7 comments:

VP said...

I'm sure to like the museum after you description of it, the exterior is quite good, anchor included. I have to post some anchors, but I fear to become a Livorno Daily Port!
I saw the cruise ship in the linked post, your sister city usually gets her sister ships, the Norwegian Gem!

B SQUARED said...

Sounds like it should be a very popular place.

Don and Krise said...

I love the shape of the building. I'll bet it's a favorite for the pesky tourists. Also, I'm sure you'll remember us when you go inside next time.

cieldequimper said...

I love this architecture, it's great! Will you show us inside if you're allowed to?

gogouci said...

One of my favorite museums of all time.

Lowell said...

It looks a lot like some modern churches which are also built to resemble a ship...

Please do take us along when you go back inside...sounds very interesting...

And I really like the way you composed this shot, Sheryl!

Lee Spangler said...

Thanks for the good description of the museum. It is a great place to take children as well. I think the shape of the building took courage for the community to approve. It is meant to look like a wave.

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails