Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Under the river

In Astoria, all roads lead back to the waterfront. I wouldn't want to be walking down there unless I had some Wellingtons, but I do like the image. The tide is not all the way out yet, but twice a day it uncovers stuff at the bottom of the river and reveals the moss or algae (or both) that grows on the pilings. There is about eight feet difference between a typical high and low tide at this point on the river. On a deep and wide river like this, you get a huge tidal bore even here, about 10 miles from the ocean.

I took this photo on May 6, 2007, shortly after we'd leased the building where I'm standing with my camera. There's a deck around the perimeter of our building, which makes river-watching very nice. The building next door is the one visible here. It stretches much further into the river than we do, and it was a marine supply for a long time. I'm not sure if the mud-covered ropes came from the marine supply or some other river-side operation over the years. They are basically stationary, while other things such as bottles and logs come and go with the tides and currents.

This photo fits nicely into Watery Wednesday! Please visit that link to see more photos of water.

Addendum: A number of people commented on the intensity of the green. Check out some photos I took of the same pilings on May 14, 2009.

7 comments:

Clueless in Boston said...

I'm struck by the ropes lying in the mud and the very green pylons. I've never seen them so green in Boston harbor.

Nicole said...

I like this.
Especially the green pillars :)
That must be cool to have a place right at the water!

Neva said...

That is unbelieveable how green it is....and boy does it look yucky to be walking around!

Hilda said...

The green of the moss/algae is so bright against the bleached monochrome of everything else. A very atmospheric and lovely photo.

Unknown said...

Wow ... i don't think I've ever seen pylons that green with algea..

Really interesting shot..

2sweetnsaxy said...

Wow, that's a lot of algae. Algae is gross but I've always liked the color of it.
:-)

Bubblewench said...

I just love your shots! That is very cool.

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails