Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, May 22, 2009

The pier on Sixth Street

I always enjoy stopping by the viewing platform at the end of Sixth Street. It was especially festive today with flags and banners whipping in the wind (notice they're not all going the same direction). The flag of Finland (blue and white) is on the right, and of Norway (red, blue, and white, not clearly visible) on the left. Parts of Astoria were settled by Finns, Norwegians, and Swedes. I'll have more of the Scandinavian heritage to show later; Astoria's annual Scandinavian Festival is coming up in mid-June. I believe I saw a Swedish flag, too, but it didn't come out in my photo. I'll have to go back and investigate. Of course, that's the US flag further down the pier, and various banners add to the playful atmosphere. I love the colors and I love the fish banner.

On the left is the Cannery Cafe. The square platform with the red roof is is the Sixth Street Viewing Platform. There is a viewing deck below the level of this boardwalk at the end of the pier, and on the right is an office building with many suites (downstairs) and an upstairs penthouse that can be rented for parties and events or used as a getaway rental. It has at least four or five beautifully-appointed bedrooms, hardwood floors, and a huge kitchen. The living room faces the water and is gorgeous. I've been to a couple of events there, alas, without my camera. I'll try to get pix sometime.

This wispy sheet of cloud is typical of the past few days. The sky has been relatively clear, with thin clouds, haze at times, or cumulus clouds low on the horizon. But I'm not leaving my jacket at home yet when I go for a walk! It was actually chilly when I took this picture at 6:02 pm on Thursday! I thought this would be a fun picture for Skywatch Friday.

10 comments:

Audun said...

Great picture. Not often we see our Norwegian flag posted here on Sky Watch

floreta said...

nice shot! looks like a cool place

Dave Coulter said...

Very cool...I was out in Astoria years ago...it's a neat place :)

Loran said...

I like the picture and am wondering how the flags are going in different directions!

Anonymous said...

the flags are featured because the Scandanvavian Festival (mid June) is near

tapirgal said...

Thanks, Anonymous! I wondered about that, but wasn't sure. It seems summer is coming up fast this year! For any of you in Scandinavia reading this blog, I will be posting pictures of the festival unless I happen to be gone that weekend.

Lowell said...

This is an enticement. I'd love to spend a few hours wandering around the area...even with the wind whipping about in different directions!

gogouci said...

It sure looks like the winds are a whipping.

Great story re: the bridge survival story. You are right, it sounds to crazy to be true. Glad it had a happy ending. I'll just have to coordinate some sort of illegal floating trash disposal off the bridge if ever I cross it in the future.

Chuckeroon said...

Hi, Tapir. My impression of Oregon is that it's all nice! Tks for dropping in on RuT. The boatbuilders are photographed all the time and take no notice - so I did not ask. But generally with a shot like this one has to ask. It's so close up; that's why I mostly avoid people in my photos.

By the way....the knife and fork museum is in London, not Paris. ;-) (I think)

Jim said...

Great shots on your blog. Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind words.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails