Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Red spring and evolution in a small town

I took this photo in front of the Bank of Astoria on April 10, 2009. The bank (at 11th and Duane) was recently bought by Columbia National Bank and changed its name (the statements still say B of A and so does the building), and it will take most of us years to think of it as anything other than the Bank of Astoria. The old names and features become so ingrained that when I first moved here in 2001, people were constantly giving me directions based on things that were no longer around, and may have been gone for 20 years! I had no idea what they were talking about. The right side of the photo is now a parking lot, but anyone who has been here for a few years (including me) will tell you. "It's by the old Safeway." The white building in the middle of the photo is a charming building that has been the Columbia River Day Spa for maybe six or seven years, but it, too, is a former bank. A lot of the old buildings keep the signage for historical or aesthetic reasons, and that would be a fun topic to explore sometime. Anyway, as Spring comes to Astoria with its rejuvenating ways, we give more than a slight nod to the old and comfortable, too. We love Spring here - it brings a few patches of blue in the sky and some rays of much-wanted sun.

Today is Ruby Tuesday. Click on the link to enjoy other photos featuring red!

If you're interested, you can see more pix of Astoria today on my other blog.

8 comments:

Marie Reed said...

Happy red Spring to you and your nostalgic bank!

Auntie E said...

Happy RT. That sure is a red tree. Must look nice filled with leaves.

Lowell said...

Nice shot. That's so funny giving directions based upon places that no longer exist. A stand-up comic could have lots of fun with that!

Thanks for coming by Cedar Key DP. I don't from seagulls...and the black ones were something of a surprise to me. Most of them are variations of white.

Small City Scenes said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Astoria is a really neat town. I was there last fall after staying at a Fire Lookout in southern Oregon. Growing up in the Seattle to Portland back to Seattle area I guess I have been there a few times. I do like the markets and the Maritime Museum. Of course the bridge. a few years back I saw a wonderous rainbow as I crossed the bridge to Wa. and stopped right in the middle to take pictures--no traffic at that time. MB

moosh said...

What a great red tree. I visited Astoria once it was a beautiful place.HRT

Lynette said...

Neat shot for Ruby Tuesday. Funny about the directions based on things no longer there. People are just plain interesting!

Neva said...

A Very colorful shot....even if the Safeway is not there!

Bubblewench said...

"the old Safeway" I laughed out loud. That's how I know how to get around there too. :)

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails