Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Where the Oregon Coast begins

Oregon Coast at Fort Stevens - South Jetty Oregon is known for its fantastically beautiful and interesting coast, and this is where it starts at its northernmost end. I took this photo the other day from the viewing platform where I also took the picture of South Jetty. In today's photo, you can see some of the rocks forming the jetty, and you can also see light-colored, faded timbers that once formed the trestle and railroad line that brought the boulders that create the entrance to today's Columbia River. There's a lot more of the old trestle to be seen on the other side of Clatsop Spit, and it's quite scenic. The first mile of the stretch of beach you see here was formed after 1885 by the build-up of sand caused by the jetty's presence. Yesterday's post shows this whole location from the air.

12 comments:

Marie Reed said...

Holy moly! This is a truly breathtaking photo! You should really work for the tourism bureau!

B SQUARED said...

So stark and so beautiful.

Lowell said...

I was going to say this is absolutely breathtaking and then I read Marie's comment...but heck, I'll say it anyway: it is absolutely breathtaking!

We're both right!

Janice said...

Beautiful. Just as I remember it growing up. Just as well New Zealand (my home now) has equally breathtaking scenery.

Lee Spangler said...

A great beach for walking and so much else. I see you have captured its essence.

Don and Krise said...

This really is nice. You managed to capture the rock, the sand and the water. Very good perspective on that area.

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Hello !! This is a wonderful shot !! So fantastic and peaceful !!Unseen Rajasthan

VP said...

Excellent image of a neverending coastline. Many superlatives come to mind for this beautiful piece of geography, history and engineering.
Not much to emphasize here, everything is at its best!

Unseen India Tours said...

Beautiful and lovely post !! Great..Unseen Rajasthan

cieldequimper said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Sorry, I know that's a lil over the top, just a couple too many hs. But you see, 48 hours ago I was wallowing in the sand on a deserted beach on the Atlantic (no screaming kids, no screaming fathers, no nothing, just the waves and the seagulls), swimming in the still warm sea (probably 20° C) and now I'm back in town, hence my reaction. Beautiful shot, I will really make the coast my priority next time I'm in your part of the world!

Kcalpesh said...

This is a lovely view. Both the pictures, the one Ariel view as well as this one both look awesome! Reminds me of my trip to Andaman!!!

Peter West Carey said...

Nice photo! I puts me right back to that area of the coast, wishing I had my toes in the sand right now!

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails