Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, September 7, 2009

Boxes

Daily Astorian and Mailboxes, Warrenton, Oregon I like the colors, the faded print, and the artfully dripping rust. I think the whole thing looks like a painting. The local newspaper is the Daily Astorian, and it's usually delivered to blue boxes like these. I took this photo just across the Youngs Bay Bridge, so we're actually in Warrenton by the Columbia Fitness Center looking back across the distance to the tree-clad hill that is Astoria. There are a lot of houses on that hill, but you can barely see them because of the trees . . . which is quite nice. One of my first posts for Astoria, Oregon, Daily Photo was taken a few feet from here, but with a totally different effect.

9 comments:

VP said...

I's funny that the boxes are all different in style and color...

B SQUARED said...

A scene like this always makes me pause. I haven't a clue as to why.

Anonymous said...

Local newspapers used to pay people (my wife did it once upon a time to earn extra money for something) to deliver newspapers. I don't remember the colors but those are a thing of the past around here. At least they are no longer close to country mail boxes.

Thanks for visiting and helping me to make history.
Pick a Peck of Pixels

Small City Scenes said...

I always liked to see mailboxes in rows--Why?--dunno.

MB

Lowell said...

This is a wonderful photo. I know, 'cause I've taken a few similar shots! Only I think my mailboxes were in much worse shape than these!

;-)

Don and Krise said...

Remember when the paper boxes (or tubes) weren't plastic? Oops, I'm dating myself aren't I? When I was kid our mailbox was in a row like this. It feels like home.

brattcat said...

I, too, love to see mailboxes in a row. I didn't grow up with that scene but it feel like home to me, too.

tapirgal said...

@Everyone: It seems there is something comforting about a scene like this. I don't know why, either, and I also didn't grow up with it. We had home mail delivery to the door in a residential area. Maybe it's that bit of country feel most of us have in our bones no matter where we grew up. Nostalgia, and the yearning for a simpler life? I love all your comments!

Lee Spangler said...

Maybe we like to feel there are people from far away who may care about us, with the exception of bill collectors of course

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails