Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Imported

Water Meter or Drain Cover, Made in India, 12th Street If the drain cover in this post was from Salem, Oregon, is the meter cover in the photo above from India? I had my doubts, thinking maybe it was just a term such as "India ink," or a type of metal casting, but I looked it up in Wikipedia. To my surprise, "In recent years, India has become a major player in the industry" of making manhole covers. They are so inexpensive to make there that it even offsets the cost of transporting such heavy objects all that distance. So now I know. We have an exotic, imported blue meter (or drain) cover at the foot of 12th Street.

12 comments:

VP said...

Thanks for the information. I have to check ours more closely...

Angel Corrochano said...

It enchants your blog, it tells much me of you and your city, a way to travel without moving to me of my table, essential

Thanks to happen and to comment in fotosqueimportan
A warm greeting

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Seems that Made in India !! Great shot !!Unseen Rajasthan

B SQUARED said...

Kind of makes you wonder if we make anything here anymore.

Lowell said...

What's next? Maybe they'll start making all our children in India or somewhere else?

Sheesh! I find this an unhappy thing. What it means is not only the loss of American jobs because of corporate greed but the abuse of Indian workers who are paid a pittance to put these together...

Well, you got me going this morning. I'll shut up now.

Have a great day! :-))

Small City Scenes said...

I am with Jacob. It seems to me that some small company in the US could make the very same item and keep our money here. MB

tapirgal said...

@ B, J, and S: The same article said the U.S. was formerly the largest manufacturer of these products.

Lee Spangler said...

I'd rather see our people create better technology items which they buy from us. Besides the steel and iron is there.

Don and Krise said...

I agree with the angry pack. If things have come to the point where we cant even forge a manhole cover at a reasonable price here why do we make anything? Aaarrrrgghhhh!

There, I'm done. :-{

VP said...

Checked many of these, still local here. Maybe government subsidized, but still local...

Kcalpesh said...

It may be best manufactured here in India but there's something I shouldn't be sharing... There have been many cases here in Mumbai where the manhole covers got stolen causing accidents harming people! A staggering 1,500 manhole covers — costing a cool Rs 75,00,000 — get stolen in Mumbai every year.

-Pixellicious Photos

Unseen India Tours said...

Nice shots !! Belongs to India !!Unseen Rajasthan

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails