Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Nice horse, where did you come from?

Horse Hitching Post at 14th and Franklin I wish I knew the story behind this hitching post, but I don't. I believe Astoria has at least two old hitching posts, but I couldn't find one of them even with the address (I'll have to go looking again) and I don't know where the other is supposed to be. There are some posts with rings in them on Duane Avenue near 14th that could be old hitching posts, but I'm not sure if they are. The wood on this post looks pretty new, and for all I know, the nice horse may be old or it may have come from a garden center, although it's implanted in front of a picturesque old Italianate Victorian house at 14th and Franklin, one house over from "the oldest dwelling in Astoria." If you know, please leave a comment, otherwise I'll probably knock on the door someday and ask. In any event, the horse munching on the metal ring brought a smile to my face. He/she looks rather friendly.

7 comments:

Small City Scenes said...

I have a similar horse in my front yard---well not to mention some real ones in the pasture. haha

My Grandpa drove the fire horses in Seattle back in the early 1900s. Maybe some of the rings you found were for that or delivery horses way back when. MB

VP said...

Really a nice post (yours), I can't help about the (hitching) post but it is very interesting that few of these are still around. And the horse is really friendly...

B SQUARED said...

I saw one of these the other day. Same design or close to it. I had no idea what it was for. Thanks to you, it seem so obvious.

brattcat said...

No horsing around, I think I've got the real W. Joy homestead up on my blog today.

Anonymous said...

I have hitched one of my horses to this post...I believe they were used to secure the mode of transportation for visitors, service vehicles and the like...just another vestige of Astoria's roots!
I may have a photo of my horse using this very same hitching post in my archives and I will look!

Lowell said...

I think it makes for good decoration. One would think Ocala would have some hitching posts, but I can't remember seeing any.

Lee Spangler said...

Corner house belonged to Vera Gault, Bruce Berney's mom, but before that I dunno. Nice post. As usual by capturing the detail you tell a large story. good job!

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails