Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Made in Oregon?

Salem Iron Works Drain Cover in Astoria, Oregon Astoria, Oregon, is approximately three hours' drive from the state capital at Salem. But is that where this drain cover was made? It seems there is or was a Salem Iron Works in Winston-Salem, North Carolina; there is currently one in Salem, Oregon, which is also known as Gerlinger Casting Corporation; and one in Baldwin Place, New York, although that one seems to specialize in decorative iron railings for home and garden.

I only found that of any interest after the fact. I liked the way this drain cover reflected the light; the way the ferns peeked through even after the dry days of summer; and the neat, tidy lettering, deeply stamped and artistic in its own industrial, no-nonsense way. Doesn't that look like a bolt in the pavement above the drain? I didn't go back to check it, but if you happen to be passing by the corner of 13th and Exchange, let me know :)

Ferns grow wild around here, which still makes me smile when I think of it. Yes, we are in a temperate rain forest. I love it.

Does this photo qualify for Watery Wednesday? It's a far cry from a scenic waterfall or a wide expanse of the Columbia River, but hey. If it were not for the water that pours down this gutter, there would be no need for a slotted drain cover. And the presence of ferns must mean something. Shooting pictures of water in Astoria is a no-brainer, so let's try something different today, OK?

9 comments:

VP said...

Nice and original idea for a post. It is even good, so now I have to go out and look down to find some fancy drain covers!
We don't have much of them, but I have seen lots of manhole covers with several types of lettering and logos.
You started something here...

Unknown said...

i agree with Vogon Poet...very original, indeed! the ferns definitely add interest.

Leora said...

I find in street utilitarian objects some hidden artisans needed to show their craft in a beautiful way.

Maybe it was made by a witch from Salem, MA.

B SQUARED said...

Always choose the path less taken. It will make all the difference. I'm paraphrasing, of course.

Anonymous said...

The water is likely there, you just can't see it...wherever there is a drain, there is probably water on the other side...

The water has to go somewhere...

Lowell said...

Fascinating. I read every word. Very creative.

And that is a bolt. Some dolt must have left it there. Or maybe it holds the street together.

Hard to believe there are so many Salem Iron Works. I tried a Salem iron one time, but it made my clothes more wrinkled. ;-)

Have a great day. Fun post!

Don and Krise said...

Oh, I'm pretty sure this qualifies for Watery Wednesday. Isn't it fun to find something common like this and then research what you've found?
P.S. I like the fern trying to peek out too.

Lee Spangler said...

You never cease to amaze me finding photos and stories in the every little detail. Look how everyone commends you. You deserve it.

Sueso said...

Perhaps the bolt is being used as a landmark...not sure that's the word? Something to permanently mark where something goes. The iron grate? Just guessing.

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails