Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Eerie glow inside the column

Eerie Light inside the Astoria Column - Spiral Stairway I took this photo and the photo for the yesterday's post as evening was coming on. The last rays of sun had left the column by the time I reached it to look out over the expanse of land, water, and clouds. The light on yesterday's post was simply the light remaining in the atmosphere. This light is supplied by electricity. There's a skylight at the top, but at this time of day it wasn't letting in a lot of light.

Nicole says there are 164 steps. I didn't count them. I was busy breathing, and actually it's never occurred to me to count them. I'm usually thinking of the view at the top or the great exercise I'm getting or a knee that I didn't realize is not crazy about hiking up steps. Or the ambiance inside the column itself. It's not so different from any other interior stairway, I just happen to like them. I'm remembering the Arc de Triomphe for one, although it seemed like there were many more stairs inside that monument.

8 comments:

cieldequimper said...

Madame, this is a fantastic one.
(Sorry, I've never been up the Arc de Triomphe). This reminded me more of staircases in lighthouses!

Lowell said...

A very nice, creative shot no matter where the light's coming from.

I did climb the Arc de Triomphe and damn near died! But I learned a lesson so Lois had to climb Notre Dame by herself with a sprained ankle. She's much hardier than I am!

Eli said...

Amazing shot. I've been to Astoria several times but never been to or heard of the Astoria Column. Next time I'm there I'll be sure to check it out.

kyungmee said...

very cool and thanks for the info & descriptions!

Lee Spangler said...

Tapirgal: this photo is a true keeper. Everyone in town will know this shot and appreciate the composition, color and feel.

Don and Krise said...

Wonderful shot. I really like the glow of the light.

VP said...

I'll climb every step to see this column!

Sueso said...

I climbed it when I was about 5 years old and remember it being quite difficult for me. Then I did it again with our children and it was okay, but decided that would be my very last time so enjoyed every minute of it. One neat thing that I don't think I've read here is that the column was cleaned and restored a few years ago using the same unique technique by I believe an Italian artist. It was the first time I could really see the art! (Now watch, I'll see the same thing written here somewhere. :o)

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails