Pages

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, August 28, 2009

Clark Gable in Astoria?

Clark Gable Plaque, Astoria, Oregon I know I was surprised when I first found this plaque a number of years ago. It didn't compute. Why here? Actually, there's been some question about whether the Clark Gable story is really true, but I looked up the answer on this web site, and they give some of their fascinating research. The building itself is a replacement for the Astoria Theatre that burned down in the big city fire of 1922; it's now a small one-story hospice connected with Columbia Memorial Hospital.

The plaque, located at the corner of 12th Street and Exchange, reads:

CLARK GABLE
1901-1960
BEGAN HIS ACTING CAREER
IN THE SUMMER of 1922 AT THE
ASTORIA THEATRE
Located on this site, the building was
destroyed by fire in December, 1922

6 comments:

Don and Krise said...

Well frankly my dear, that is pretty interesting.

cieldequimper said...

Very interesting. Oh the memories of watching old American films on TV on Sundays. "Sunday Matinee" it was called in England! The Astoria website is very nice.

Lowell said...

Well, did he or didn't he? It seems the question is still open - more or less...but probably true.

Fascinating research, though. He was one of my favorite actors as a kid.

Thanks for the link. The header photo is incredible and gives a gorgeous overview of your gorgeous city!

Wow!

brattcat said...

I've had a couple of conversations with Charlie Marchant about your ancestral home. He seems to feel I was one house off. I'll try to get up to Harmonyville sometime soon to get a shot of the house the historian of Townshend thinks was W. Joy's.

VP said...

Why not? It seems quite plausible and the details like unpaid bills very funny...

Peter Huhtala said...

My grandmother claimed to have danced with Gable in Astoria. She mentioned this to my grandfather on numerous ocassions.

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails